Material:Body: Ceramics, Grating part: Ray fish skin
Country of origin:Gifu, Japan
Small:Dimensions (approx): 101 x 60 x 51 mm, Item weight (approx): 60 g, Shipping weight (approx): 220 g
Medium:Dimensions (approx): 121 x 70 x 61 mm, Item weight (approx): 90 g, Shipping weight (approx): 250 g
Large:Dimensions (approx): 135 x 76 x 67 mm, Item weight (approx): 110 g, Shipping weight (approx): 270 g
- The grater is composed of high-quality Kyoto style dyed porcelain and carefully selected top-quality sharkskin. It can grate wasabi finely to enhance its flavor and sharpness.
- Besides wasabi, it can be used for radishes, yams, carrots, ginger, etc. Sharkskin graters can grate vegetables with their original flavor and nutrients remaining.
- A long time ago, Japan started to import “sharkskin”, which was used for armour and swords but couldn’t be found in the sea around Japan. However, they had never seen real sharks and what they believed to be sharkskin was actually any kind of fish skin (mostly ray fish skin) imported for materials. For these backgrounds, people in Japan even now call either sharkskin or ray fish skin “sharkskin”.
Use & Care
- Quickly wash and dry it in shade after use. Soaking it in hot/cold water in a long time or drying it under direct sunlight may cause the sharkskin part to come off.
- Avoid grating acidic foods (ex. lemons).
- The sharkskin surface will absorb water and extend when used, and will shrink when dried.
WORLD VISION CO., LTD has been manufacturing “sharkskin wasabi graters”, which are known to be the best wasabi grater and highly evaluated by nationwide top-quality sushi restaurants as a traditional cooking tool.